Charlie ‘The Spaniard’ Brenneman has fought his way to greatness! He’s lived a life of motivation and determination, giving it his all in everything from teaching to being a professional UFC fighter. He sits down with Luke today to talk about preparation, self-actualization and success, and being ‘Driven’ in all areas of your life.
- Grew up completely immersed in the sport of wrestling-his parents dedicated everything to him and his siblings being successful in the ring.
- Pursued his undergrad in Education, becoming a Spanish teacher, and finished his wrestling career at 23 years old.
- It wasn’t long after that that he needed a new purpose. He is addicted to excellence and wanted to do something he was passionate about.
- Charlie dove completely head-first into training for the UFC, sacrificing everything, which at one point even jeopardized his relationship with his wife (then-girlfriend).
- His dedication led to success in the UFC, and today he’s a motivational speaker and author of his autobiography, ‘Driven’.
Addicted to Excellence
- Charlie is addicted to excellence in everything that he does.
- One of his elements of excellence is preparation.
- In business and in life, many outsiders think achievers are ‘lucky’ when they win, but it’s really about constantly preparing and putting yourself in situations to grab those opportunities.
- Charlie lives his life in a way that he’s done everything he can mentally and physically to have full confidence in what he can achieve in any arena.
- When you’ve prepared to that level, there’s no second-guessing yourself.
Sports Training and Mental Strength
- Everything good thing about Charlie comes from his training as a wrestler-the toughest sport in the world.
- You can’t put a value on the strength and mental fortitude you develop when you’re dedicated to being the best at a sport.
- When you are so focused on the vision of what you want to achieve, you just ‘do’ the work.
- The ‘why’ of what you’re doing is the motivation that pushes you through the grind.
Achieving Greatness in Sports and Business
- In sports, Charlie will outwork you or he will die trying.
- You can apply that same mindset to entrepreneurial success.
- You will fail and you will have public setbacks.
- You have to get accustomed to people critiquing you and develop a thick skin.
- When you train for sports at a high level, you know that most people in the room with you haven’t been through that. That is mentally reassuring in your own drive to greatness.
- When you can apply the strength from sports training to a real-life setting, you’re on fire!
Self-Actualization for Success
- It’s okay not to know all the steps, but if you don’t see yourself at the top, the greater vision, then it’s not going to happen.
- “If you’re not going to sell yourself, no one else is.”
- You have to make the choice to believe in yourself or not. If you don’t, you might as well go home.
- Charlie’s created a youth program that teaches everything that he’s learned through his lifetime of combat sports training, breaking it down into functions of success and elements of excellence.
- When you live according to your core values and maintain integrity in everything that you do, then you can self-actualize anything you want. It’s a home run.
Where to Find Charlie:
- Charlie’s website: www.charlie-brenneman.com
- Charlie’s book: Driven: My Unlikely Journey from the Classroom to the Cage